Monday, August 11, 2014

I'll be the mom to say it- I'm glad school started.



We joined the “back to school” club today.
 
I thought about posting the cute pictures of all my children holding chalkboards with their grades listed on them BUT since taking a cute picture like that didn’t even cross my mind this morning, I guess I’ll pass.  It’s not that I love my children less than you, it’s just that I don’t ever have these cute ideas. I did snap a picture, with my phone, and as a bonus I think 4 of my 5 children were looking at the camera. I’ll take what I can get. And yes, I let my preschooler wear her shoes on the wrong feet.  We are teaching independence.  And she honestly can’t feel the difference.

When we arrived at school my 7th grader was off to her locker as soon as I shut off the car.  I know her “I love you” and kiss to her mother were implied and I’m looking forwarding to seeing how my Jr. Higher did today.  Oh boy.  

The rest of us were loaded up with all the school gear and walked to the classrooms of my 3rd and 5th graders.  As we reminisced with old faces, I can’t even begin to tell you how many people told me how quickly summer went by.  And while I can’t believe school is starting already- I can’t agree completely with how quickly the summer went by.

It. Was. Long.

Don’t get me wrong, most days it was wonderful. But with 5 children ranging the ages of 1-12, “quickly” isn’t typically the word that I was use to describe summer. Creative. Interesting. Busy. Chaotic. Fun. Stressful. Fulfilling.

I think the beauty of having a 12 yr old and a 1 yr old is seeing the duality of “time flies” in motion. You see because the 7 hrs my children are at school and I am at home with my little guy playing Legos or cars, well some days that doesn’t go very fast. But to look at my 12 yr old, or 10 yr old, or even my 8 and 4 yr olds- it truly does seem like it was just yesterday THEY were the 1 yr old filling their day with mom.

And so today I am reminded to be present, in the present.  Time can seem to stand still or to move so quickly it takes our breath away.  And some days I feel like both are happening almost simultaneously.
So before I get ahead of myself, scheduling the week, figuring out homework routines and sports practice schedules, I am just going to pause. And be thankful. To be present. And fully aware.
I am blessed beyond measure. I am wild about being a mom. 

And I have no problem saying this- I’m glad school started.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your life through your gift of writing...love that I can laugh, be cerebral for a moment and be encouraged by your words. And thanks for the present of a reminder to be present...

    ReplyDelete