Monday, November 3, 2014

Did I miss something?



If you went to the store any time over the weekend you probably saw what I did this morning; an isle full of “Halloween” candy being clearanced while new cards and candy were being stocked.  CHRISTMAS cards and candy I might add.  CHRISTMAS.  I stopped breathing for a moment as I faced the reality that the Christmas countdown has begun. 

All you crafty types probably already knew this and right. at. this. moment. have homemade gifts ready for teachers and family members. In a Christ like way I just have to tell you that we can’t be friends.  Not until after I purchase my practical and somehow less “special” gift cards- and decide if a new Christmas family photo is in order or do we all look close enough to last years that we can just use that.  Until then, back off and keep your fancy gift bows and Hobby Lobby bags to yourself.  We can return to the functioning body of Christ on Dec 26. I will look forward to it. 

But I digress. 

Did I miss something? Did we skip Thanksgiving altogether? Last time I check the calendar that comes between Oct 31st and December 25th

Oh, but then it hit me. You can’t buy Thankgiving. Right? I mean, isn’t a foundational principle of Thanksgiving to be grateful for what WE ALREADY HAVE?! To be content. To focus on the blessings we’ve already been given. To be consumed with the blessing we do have, not don’t have. The ones that can be placed in a bag or a box and have a receipt in case we already have one. Or don’t need it. Or just don’t like the way it fits.

So today, I’m just owning the fact that it’s just the beginning of November. And as excited as I get as the next girl with all things Christmas, and gift giving, and lights and Christmas music, the Lord used my little episode in the grocery store to stop me in my tracks. That’s not to say that I won’t be looking for some good buys and anticipating the ways I can bless the people in my life for Christmas. Or if you feel so lead, you can bless me this Christmas. But I’m gonna start with Thanksgiving. Today.

In my heart.

In my life.

From my mouth.

Not that it’s that hard to do. I am blessed beyond measure. 

But it’s just easy to skip ahead. To join the masses. To clearance and discount the items from yesterday. The answers to prayer. The ways God showed up. His provisions both seen and unseen. And to stock my shelves with the wishes and hopes for tomorrow. 

Will you join me in this season of THANKFULNESS?
 
Will you send a card of thanks to someone you know needs to hear it? Offer a meal to someone in need out of the abundance that God has given you. Pray a prayer for a friend who can’t come up with the words to pray herself. Focus on the blessings of parenting and not just the pains? Tell your spouse how much you love them instead of the ways they don’t measure up.

Thanksgiving. 

That starts today.

1 Thes 5:18 “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.”

And trust me, you’ll want to get good at this. Because pretty soon you’ll be fighting for a parking spot at the mall or the last strand of Christmas lights at Big Lots and you will need this reminder.  And so will I. 

Give thanks!

1 comment: